If you have been to North India, you definitely know about Paneer Bhurji. It has become so popular that it is now available in most corners of the nation. The Paneer Bhurji recipe is generally made with the use of Indian cottage cheese. It includes Paneer, ground spices and herbs. You can easily pair it with Roti, Puri, Paratha, Pav, and anything that you would like. Paneer Bhurji is also considered a very common filling in kathi rolls, bread rolls and sandwiches.
About Paneer Bhurji:
Paneer is naturally the Indian cottage cheese, and Bhurji means to scramble. So essentially, it is scrambled cottage cheese that is cooked in the north Indian style. This is a spicy dish that mostly includes onion and tomato masala to give it a unique taste. It can be said to be similar to egg bhurji. It is again a very commonly known street food, mostly served with several dishes.
If you are a vegetarian and not even allowed to have egg bhurji, Paneer bhurji can be one of those side dishes that can help you to enjoy a fulfilling meal. As it looks and tastes delicious, you can simply use them as filling within rolls and sandwiches. You can use any kind of spices according to your taste and make sure that it becomes a great inclusion in your meal.
Ingredients for Paneer Bhurji Recipe:
- Ginger and garlic paste
Preparation of Paneer Bhurji:
Make sure that you bring Paneer from the shop or you make it at home. Both can be a good choice according to the time availability. And so here we will directly start the Paneer Bhurji recipe from the way to prepare the masala.
- Take a pan and pour oil and wait until it gets heated.
- Add whole cumin into the oil and allow it to crackle.
- Now you have to add finely chopped onions and put them into the oil. Wait for the onions to turn golden or pink.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste you have prepared to the fried onion. Fry it until the raw smell of the paste disappears.
- Next is to add chopped onions, salt and turmeric. Properly sauté the entire mixture until the tomatoes get soft and mushy. You can also cover the pan using a lid and ensure the spices get properly bound with each other.
- Once you have properly mixed the masala, next, you need to add red chilli powder according to your taste, Garam masala, and Kasuri methi. If you have amchur, you can also add it in this step.
- Make sure that you properly mix everything until the smell of the masala completely vanishes, and you find them properly getting mixed with everything.
- You can also use peas or capsicum and add them during this step. Sauté it properly with the entire mixture that you have prepared. Once done, add the crumbled Paneer that you have kept and properly mix it with masalas. Give it another 2 to 3 minutes so that the raw smell of the cottage cheese completely vanishes. You don’t have to overcook.
- This is the last step, and now you can add a little bit of lemon juice and coriander leaves if you have one, or you can simply skip it.
Some easy tips:
- You can also choose to make Paneer Bhurji gravy if you want. For this, you need to cool down the masala after use and sauté it properly with the spices. Put a little bit of water onto the paste and heat 1 tablespoon of oil in another pan. Add Bay leaves, cumin seed and two cardamoms. Next is to add tomato paste and half a glass of water. Cook the entire mixer until you find the oil starts releasing and floating on top.
- You can even make it healthier by adding veggies like capsicum, peace, and carrots and mix properly with veg Paneer bhurji.
- It is always recommended to use homemade Paneer as these are really soft and easily crumble. Besides, they easily mix with the mixture and give a proper taste.
That’s all about the Paneer Bhurji recipe. You should know that it hardly takes 15 to 20 minutes to properly cook Paneer Bhurji and enjoy a delicious meal. You can cook Paratha or roti on the sides and enjoy a delicious meal any time of the day.